Saturday, April 2, 2011

Chapter 2

"They got enough of those things they call pills down me so I don't know a thing till I hear the ward door open." (15)-- This quote made me realize that these people that are living in this mental hospital are not able to control there own bodies by themselves. They don't have any control of their lives and don't know what the nurses are giving to them each day. I wonder what its like to not be able to have a say in what I do? Do these people in the mental hospital trust the nurses that they are keeping them safe?

"Nobody can tell exactly why he laughs; there's nothing funny going on. But its not the way that Public Relation laughs, it's free and loud and it comes out of his wide grinning mouth and spreads in rings bigger and bigger till its lapping against the walls all over the ward. Not like that fat Public Relations laugh. This sounds real. I realize all of the sudden its the first laugh I've heard in years." (16)-- This quote shows how interested the narrator is of the new person in the hospital, Mr. McMurry, and how "dead" the atmosphere is in the hospital. The narrator says he hasn't heard a real laugh in years, this must be a pretty depressing place and nothing interesting of fun ever happens until this man came along. The narrator seems to notice a lot of details about specific things.

"Every morning we sit lined up on each side of the day room, mixing jigsaw puzzles, after breakfast, listen for a key to hit the lock and wait to see what's coming in. There's not a whole lot else to do." (15)-- This quote really hit me and made me feel sorry for the people in this mental hospital. They have nothing exciting in there life, and every day is the same, where nothing happens or is different. Something that is not exciting at all is exciting for them there. I can't even imagine how boring and depressing it is for there people. How could these people be at the hospital for so long doing the same thing every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment